Vegan Key Lime Pie — SUGAR-FREE
I haven’t ever been a “key lime pie person,” but I must say, this particular key lime pie stole my heart. Maybe my taste buds have developed, or maybe this is just the best key lime pie I’ve ever tasted ever, but anyway, I’m planning on making this again! We recently moved into our new house, and we had to stuff ourselves into a small apartment on the bottom floor of the property while the rest of the place is being finished. So, I put myself to the task of using up some of the “stockpiled” materials that we had obtained when we were in Marfil (which is far enough away from most of the grocery stores where we get ingredients like coconut oil and stevia that we often ended up with multiples of various items. Now we live close enough to those grocery stores that we could walk there in 15 minutes max). Last night, I saw some limes that needed to be used that were taking up space, and I put myself to work on a key lime pie.
The classic key lime pie recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and key lime juice. But, since this is a vegan, sugar-free recipe, all I was going to be able to use from this classic combo was the key limes. Read on for the recipe!
- 11 Key Limes
- 3/4 -1 Cup Almond or Other Non-Dairy Milk
- 1/4 Cup Oat Flour (for a paleo option, almond flour would work fine as well)
- 1/2 Tsp Agar Agar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Powdered Stevia
- 30 Stevia Drops
- 1 1/2 Tsp Spirulina (optional, adds color and nutritional value)
- 1 1/2 TBSP Coconut Butter
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 1 3/4 Cup Oat Flour (for a paleo option, almond flour would work fine as well)
- 1/2 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Stevia Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- Place all ingredients for the filling in a sauce pan and mix well with a whisk or spoon. More oat flour may be added for a thicker mixture if desired.
- Bring the mix to a boil and then let simmer on low heat until the mix stops thickening. Agar agar thickens as it's heated (like cornstarch). Stir regularly but not continuously.
- While the filling is simmering, mix together the ingredients for the pie crust in a bowl. Press into a pie pan using a spoon.
- After the filling is done thickening, pour it into the pie pan (complete with the crust) and top with shredded coconut if desired.
- Put the pie in the fridge for 30 minutes to set, then serve cold.
Leave a Comment